Saturday, November 1, 2008

Daily Life

Was able to sleep through the whole night last night. I was much more relaxed in yoga class this AM.Today is Full Moon Day, a day of feasting and purifying ones self in the Ganga. People are up even earlier on this day for the preparations. Music and prayers are broadcast on loudspeakers, bells ringing, horns honking, the noise continues. Everyone's out in their finest clothing. The array of saris are breathtaking. This is a day of distributing food to the poor.
Here's my daily schedule:
5:30 - wake up bell
6:00 - 7:30 - yoga class
7:30 - 8:00 - meditation
8:00 - 8:45 - breakfast
9:00 - 10:30 - yoga philosophy
10:30 - 12:00- anatomy and subtle anatomy
12:00 - 12:45 - lunch
1:00-2:30 - Break
2:30 - 4:00 - techniques class
4:00 - 6:00 - practicum class
6:00-6:45 - Dinner
7:30-9:00 - kiirtan and personal development (on Mondays & Wednesday)
We also have written tests, essays and 3 levels of classes we have to demonstrate proficiency of teaching, 2 times/week. We meet for classes 6 days per week.
This, is yoga boot camp.

A rainstorm this morning knocked out the power. Nothing that I'm not use to. Beginning to adjust to the schedule here. My body is hurting, but it is also getting stronger. The teachers are very good here. Chetenah is very good at facilitating discourse in philosophy peppered with interactive activities.
Learned something yesterday about the name of someone I know.(Ira will appreciate this). In reading about Anandamayee Ma - she would seemingly, unbeknownced to her visitor, student or devotee, compassionately stage a situation for a lesson, or frame a dire situation as a positive outcome. Peppered in the text the statement would appear, "This is her leela." I asked Chetenah, "What is leela?" She responded, "Oh, that means someone's drama, being lovingly confrontational."
10/17I am told Indian summers are hot during the day and hot at night. Indian winters are hot during the day and warm at night. Noticing more changes internally. I am able to go into a deep meditation for longer periods of time. I feel lighter, feeling the pranic energy.
Today we learned to use the neti pot. It is called Jal Neti. I've always been hesitant to use it because: 1) fear of drowning 2)I wouldn't know what I was doing 3) Seemed much too foreign. I'm sold on it and glad I waited to learn how. Yogis have many rituals around cleansing. Jal Neti (nasal cleansing with salt water). One uses a teapot shaped vessel. The spout goes in one nostril, tilt the head, and the water pours out of the other nostril. There is a process of clearing and drying the nostrils afterward. Finally, the nostrils are lubricated with ghee and rose oil. One can further cleanse the throat and nostrils by putting saltwater in the mouth, lean forward, and have it flow out of both nostrils. Another neti practise is sutra neti. Thread a cotton catheter stiffened with beeswax at one end, dip it in ghee or oil, tilt the head back, and thread it through one nostril. Feed the sutra through the back of the nostril into the throat. Reach in the mouth, grip the sutra, and slowly rub it back and forth. Repeat through the other nostril.
I will forgo from performing this one.

No comments: